Specializing in nail varnishes - rare, unusual, and obscure

Monday, October 18, 2010

Harry Potter (Slytherin) Themed Franken Collection


Left to Right: Emerald Encrusted Assets, Avada Kedavra, Malfoiled

Left to Right: Crabbe & Goyle's Death Burger Deluxe with Cheese, Nagini, Dead As A Dumble-Dorenail

I made all six of these in one evening. I had been gearing up for frankening and my manglaze franken juggs package arrived on Saturday. My favorite is Emerald Encrusted Assets, though Dead As A Dumble-Dorenail looks better in person (and it's my favorite OPI-esque name). I split the Malfoiled franken between two jugs (because it was super thick. You see, it was perfect until I went and added Green Sparks! mineral pigment from TKB and the franken immediately turned into a gel/paste. DO NOT RECOMMEND these for frankens) and added more clear to the Malfoiled and black to make the Avada Kadavra. I made Nagini by splitting the Dumble-Dore Nail between two jugs and adding NYS Amaranth. Some of these turned out great texture wise, but Malfoiled and the two Vintage Leaf Glitter heavy ones (Dumble-Dore Nail and Nagini) where a gooey bear to work with. All of the following swatches are three coats and topped with Seche Vite. These photos were taken indoors with an artificial light source. Now I have to decide which of these to wear with my Draco Malfoy halloween costume...


Avada Kedavra

1/2 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Toast
1/6 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Clear
1/4 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Black Creme
1/4 tsp Apple Green Pop Pigment from TKB
1/8 tsp MAC pigment in Green Brown
+ some Green Sparks! mineral pigment from TKB
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Crabbe & Goyle's Death Burger Deluxe with Cheese

1 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Clear
1/2 tsp Martha Stewart Nephrite Glitter
1/2 tsp Martha Stewart Peridot Glitter
1/2 tsp Martha Stewart Sterling Glitter
2/3 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Confetti
Special Note:
The amount of clear polish I put in this franken means the glitter won't stay suspended and the nephrite glitter bled into the base and turned it black after I took these pictures. I don't know if the glitter would have bled if I had only used Confetti base, but the glitter would probably not sink to the bottom. The glitter did not appear to bleed into the silver foil based polishes I made.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dead As A Dumble-Dorenail

1/2 bottle Hard Candy Trailer Trash
1/2 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Clear
1/4 tsp Martha Stewart Olivine Vintage Leaf Glitter
3/4 tsp Martha Stewart Verdalite Vintage Leaf Glitter
1/4 tsp Martha Stewart Nephrite Glitter
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Emerald Encrusted Assets

1 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Confetti
1/3 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Clear
1/4 bottle Wet n Wild Craze Morbid
1 tsp Martha Stewart Sterling Glitter
1 tsp Martha Stewart Sterling Vintage Leaf Glitter
1/4 tsp MAC pigment in Emerald Green
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Malfoiled

1/2 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Toast
1/6 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Clear
1/4 tsp Apple Green Pop Pigment from TKB
1/8 tsp MAC pigment in Green Brown
+ some Green Sparks! mineral pigment from TKB
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nagini

1/2 bottle Hard Candy Trailer Trash
1 bottle of Wet n Wild Wild Shine Clear
1/4 bottle New York Summer Amaranth
1/4 tsp Martha Stewart Olivine Vintage Leaf Glitter
3/4 tsp Martha Stewart Verdalite Vintage Leaf Glitter
1/4 tsp Martha Stewart Nephrite Glitter

6 comments:

  1. awesome! as a hardcore HP fan, I'm in love with this collection =)
    I did a Slytherin manicure once (although I believe I'm a Gryffindor):
    http://emeraldsparkled.blogspot.com/2010/02/notd-house-of-slytherin.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Potter Nail Polish. Priceless :D

    Good ideas. I love the first franken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!I love what you've done!I hope Ravenclaw will be up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soooo awesome! I love HP! Can't wait to see the newest movie in theathers :)
    You should really begin your own nailpolish line, haha! These would sell like crazy! <3 I reaaally like Crabbe & Goyle's Death Burger Deluxe with Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will my set be ready? You've done an amazing set! Love them all, especially since I love greens. My favorites are Malfoiled and Nagini. I love foils.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, this is my first comment here. I love this post! It's super helpful to me, as I've just gotten started with frankening. I love New York Summer jellies, and Icing seems to make a lot of good jelly-cremes too.

    I am a huge green lover, and these all look so fun. I especially like Crabbe & Goyle's Death Burger Deluxe with Cheese and Emerald Encrusted Assets.

    : )

    ReplyDelete