Specializing in nail varnishes - rare, unusual, and obscure

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Estee Lauder Metallic Sage Mega Comparison Post

I ran out and bought Estee Lauder Metallic Sage yesterday after seeing both Scrangie and Vampy Varnish do beautiful manicure posts with it. Since I can't compete with their presentation skills, and the $19 price tag is rough, I decided to do an exhaustive comparison to hunt for dupes.
Metallic Sage is a brown toned sage green with a subtle golden, slightly coppery shimmer.
First I compared all of my green nail wheels and pulled Rescue Beauty Lounge Anne and BB Couture for Men Adam and Posse. Adam is the closest thing I had. The base color is almost spot on (perhaps a little more brown), but as you'll see, the shimmer is different (much more red).

SHIMMER COMPARISON


Indoors with artificial light:


Outdoors in sun:


Next I decided to find the closest green creme I had to the base color of this polish. I pulled Rescue Beauty Lounge No More War, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Swamp Thing, and Chanel Khaki Brun. Khaki Brun was the closest (not a perfect match) so I decided to try layering combos to match the shimmer in Metallic Sage.

CREME COMPARISON (BASE COLOR)

Indoors with artificial light:

Outdoors in sun:


I layered two coats of Chanel Khaki Brun under Lippmann Collection Diamonds and Pearls, NARS Adelita, and Wet n Wild Flirt in Gumdrop.

LAYERED COMPARISON


Outdoors in sun:

I also layered two coats of Chanel Khaki Brun under CND Effects Crimson Sparkle, Copper Shimmer, and Copper Pearl. Copper Shimmer was the closest to the shimmer in Metallic Sage, but the effect gives off a stronger shimmer.

Outdoors in sun:


All swatches are two coats of polish over base coat without top coat.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, you really worked hard on these comparisons. Really useful, thank you (it's a pity we don't have BBC here in Italy, Adam looks nice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that CND copper shimmer over the Chanel Brun - that's just gorgeous! I'm picking this up tonight hopefully - and have a similar polish on it's way called "In a Trance" by Cult Nails, looks gorgeous and can't wait to compare the two! Great review and A+ for effort ;)

    ReplyDelete